Current:Home > MarketsDisney asks for delay in DeSantis appointees’ lawsuit, as worker describes a distracted district -TradeGrid
Disney asks for delay in DeSantis appointees’ lawsuit, as worker describes a distracted district
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 03:28:53
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — Disney this week requested a second delay in a state court case involving its legal battle with Gov. Ron DeSantis’ appointees over who controls Walt Disney World’s governing district, as the company accused them and the governor’s office of stonewalling requests for documents that are part of the litigation.
The entertainment giant’s request came as a district employee said in a deposition that the takeover of the district’s board by DeSantis’ appointees last year, and its subsequent politicization, has caused around 50 of its 370 employees to leave. The board has a scheduled monthly meeting Wednesday.
“There is a very, very, very politically motivated board, and I know we try not to acknowledge that, but that is a huge reason why a lot of people are leaving,” Erin O’Donnell, the district’s public records administrator, said in a deposition, sections of which were filed in court last week. “Other people may have had their own issues with leadership ... but a lot of people have left just due to the entire shakeup of the district.”
The governing district provides municipal services such as planning, mosquito control and firefighting in the roughly 40 square miles (100 square kilometers) in central Florida that make up Disney World.
DeSantis and the GOP-controlled Florida Legislature took control of the district’s board last year, almost a year after Disney publicly opposed the state’s so-called don’t say gay law, which bans classroom lessons on sexual orientation and gender identity in early grades. The law was championed by DeSantis, who had been running for the 2024 GOP presidential nomination until this week when he suspended his campaign.
Disney, DeSantis and the district have taken their fight over who controls the district to state and federal courts.
O’Donnell’s partial deposition in the state court case was filed as part of Disney’s arguments that the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District and the governor’s office have been dragging their feet in producing requested documents. In its request for a delay, Disney argued that it needs another six months to prepare for filing a motion since it hasn’t gotten the documents in a timely manner.
The district said in court papers that it had provided the appropriate documents. It accused Disney of going on “a fishing expedition to score political points” and “accusing the district of misbehavior when there is none.”
Disney’s motion will argue against a request by the district for the judge in the state case to make an immediate ruling without the need for a full-blown trial. The judge previously granted a delay last year at Disney’s request for the same reason.
In court papers, Disney said DeSantis’ office hadn’t produced a single requested document and “relied on excuses that are as inconsistent as they are unbelievable.” Nick Meros, an attorney for the governor’s office, said Tuesday that his office doesn’t comment on pending litigation. In an email to Disney attorneys, filed in court papers, he said Disney’s requests were “broad and unwieldy.”
O’Donnell’s testimony provides insight into the turmoil since the takeover of the district, which previously was controlled by Disney supporters. The departure of longtime senior leaders has hampered day-to-day operations, and morale has taken a hit, she said.
Some procedures that had been ad hoc have been formalized by the new leadership, she added, but the attention given to the shakeup and the backgrounds of the DeSantis appointees have been distracting. Among those appointees is Bridget Ziegler, a co-founder of the conservative activist group Moms for Liberty who has been accused of hypocrisy after admitting to a sexual relationship she and her husband had with another woman even as they publicly opposed LGBTQ+ rights.
Last week Sarasota police cleared her husband, Christian Ziegler, of rape allegations involving the woman but said they asked prosecutors to charge him with illegally recording video of the sexual encounter he had with her. Earlier this month the Republican Party of Florida ousted Christian Ziegler as chairman of the state party.
“It’s just very hard to go through our day-to-days not hearing about all the extra news happening,” O’Donnell said. “So I think that just, in their own personal lives, and what they’ve done, or what affiliations they’re a part of, have just been extra noise, so to speak, at the district.”
___
Follow Mike Schneider on X, formerly known as Twitter: @MikeSchneiderAP.
veryGood! (3822)
Related
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- 2024 Olympics: Canadian Pole Vaulter Alysha Newman Twerks After Winning Medal
- Georgia school chief says AP African American Studies can be taught after legal opinion
- Missouri voters pass constitutional amendment requiring increased Kansas City police funding
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- West Virginia Supreme Court affirms decision to remove GOP county commissioners from office
- 'Take care': Utah executes Taberon Dave Honie in murder of then-girlfriend's mother
- Democrats and Republicans descend on western Wisconsin with high stakes up and down the ballot
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- Hearing in Karen Read case expected to focus on jury deliberations
Ranking
- Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
- 'It Ends with Us': All the major changes between the book and Blake Lively movie
- Nevada governor releases revised climate plan after lengthy delay
- The Latest: With major party tickets decided, 2024 campaign is set to play out as a 90-day sprint
- Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
- NYC’s ice cream museum is sued by a man who says he broke his ankle jumping into the sprinkle pool
- Indian wrestler Vinesh Phogat abruptly retires after disqualification at Olympics
- 2024 Olympics: Runner Noah Lyles Says This Will Be the End of His Competing After COVID Diagnosis
Recommendation
All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
2024 Olympics: Runner Noah Lyles Says This Will Be the End of His Competing After COVID Diagnosis
Get an Extra 50% Off J.Crew Sale Styles, 50% Off Banana Republic, 40% Off Brooklinen & More Deals
West Virginia Supreme Court affirms decision to remove GOP county commissioners from office
Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
American Sam Watson sets record in the speed climb but it's not enough for Olympic gold
Why Kansas City Chiefs’ Harrison Butker Is Doubling Down on Controversial Speech Comments
Teen Mom Stars Amber Portwood and Gary Shirley’s Daughter Leah Looks All Grown Up in Rare Photo